All That You Must Know About Notarisation

All That You Must Know About Notarisation

admin February 9, 2021

You may often need the service of a notary for legalizing any of your documents so that your document will be considered to be authentic and valid. Legalization of your documents will often be very essential if are going to show them to any other country.

Notarisation usually refers to a document that is signed by a Notary Public. A Notary is actually a solicitor that has taken further qualifications. When your document is signed by a notary London then it is deemed to be ‘notarised’.

The following are the few documents that are accepted for notarization.

  1. All photo IDs issued by your government e.g.
  • Your passport
  • Your driving license
  • Your national ID

     2.  Your proof of residence where the following documents with dates not older than 3 months e.g.

  • Your electricity or water bill
  • Your landline telephone bill (your mobile phone bill will not fall on this category)
  • Your letter of insurance e.g. motor/medical/life insurance
  • Your mortgage statement
  • Your council tax bill for the current year
  • Your latest bank statement/credit card bill
  • Your TV license fee
  • Your cash flow statements like pension or inheritance
  • Your HMRC tax notification
  • Your polling card
  • Your tenancy agreement
  • Your certificate of residence

     2.  Who can certify your documents?

For the UK and other EU residents the following authority or professional person can certify your documents:

  • Local post Office
  • Your bank/Building society official
  • Any Chartered Accountant
  • Any solicitor/ lawyer or notary (who must be fully qualified)
  • Your local town hall

However, you cannot come with an ID card or address proof for some other person other than your own. In other words, you need to personally visit any of the above executives in person with your document and must present it before his office. Based on that only your documents will be certified.

If you are a foreigner and non-UK or non-EU residents, then in such case the following professional or authority will be able to certify your documents:

  • Commissioner of Oaths/comparable
  • Consulate of your country or high commission officer
  • Embassy official of your country
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Notary public

However, the following persons are not authorized to certify your documents:

  • Yourself
  • Any person who may be related to you
  • Any person who is living at the similar address where you live
  • A person with whom you are in a relationship
  • Any person who is working in the same firm where you are working e.g your colleague or partner
  • A person who is retired from his position
  • A person who is resident or operating in a certain different country

    3.   What should your certified document look like?

You must present your original documents in the office of the registered professional and then ask them to certify all the copies in person by:

  • Writing as “Certified true copy” on the document
  • Must sign with the date on the document
  • By printing their name below the signature
  • Also must add their occupation, along with the address and telephone number
  • Stamp the document naming his company stamp (mandatory)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *